Tuesday, October 25, 2011

"I'm Just Saying You Could Do Better" Blog Post # 7

On the plus side, I feel that I have done a stupendous job at maintaining my professionalism efficiently and consistently. My attitude has been recognized as mature and admirable by my peers and instructors. This is a positive accolade for a crucial skill that I plan on continuing to demonstrate throughout my careers.
It may come to a shock to many that the things I am most proud of are simple things like organization and timeliness. Before Year Up, I was not the best advocate for these two important skills. I was notorious for being late to everything. It became so much of a bad habit that people would schedule plans and inform me to be there thirty minutes before everyone else. It was expected of me to arrive late and people would accommodate their schedules on my behalf. This negative habit not only needed adjusting, it needed to be eliminated entirely.
My organization skills were also sub par before I attended Year Up. I would not take advantage of simple tools like calendars and planners. I would rely and depend on my memory for everything, and my memory isn't as sharp as it once was. Luckily, now I utilize all resources available to me in order to stay on top of tasks. I not only use my daily planner, but I also use the calendar on our Outlook for school, and I also use Edmodo to communicate with my peers about assignments. I am more proficient now because of simple skills like organization and timeliness.
As far as my growth areas are concerned, I can definitely admit that although my professionalism has improved substantially, there is always room for improvement. I have been told on many occasions that I have the qualities of a leader and that I should take initiative and find a role in leadership within our community. Unfortunately, I have yet to take advantage of support I have garnered and seek a leadership position. Although I am confident in the impact I am capable of creating as a leader, I am deterred by distractions and need to refocus on my objective to find a career and excel in it. The best way to make a great impression at any future career is to prove you can demonstrate leadership qualities. I will begin to do a better job at preparing for my future and start working on my capabilities in a leadership role.

No comments:

Post a Comment