Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Bused Over (Blog Post #2)

At one point there were no high schools in our city due to political and geographical circumstances. All high school students had to attend a school in a neighboring district because our city didn't have one.
Many of us “impoverished” students were sent on buses to schools in cities that were considered upscale. I myself was bused over to Woodside high school located in a suburb, or the “rich” side of town. I can't say I always felt welcomed there but I will say that I understood the power of diversity.
Fusing students from opposite backgrounds and neighborhoods was a potential catastrophe. I, however, couldn’t have found it more fulfilling. Because we had more ethnic students we had more cultural festivities that we all benefited from, especially our culturally-challenged classmates.
Despite my lack of effort in academics, I was still educated with experiences enriched with life lessons. Had I gone to a school in my city, I know for a fact that my education would’ve also reflected my character, poor. Even though my environment is grim, it is because of this that I was blessed with a better education in another, and for that I am eternally grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment